2010, Colorado Awards for Remodeling Excellence 1st Place Winner, Specialty Room
We had previously added on a 5-car garage addition.
With this project, the owners wanted to covert the existing 4-car garage into a family recreation room with indoor/outdoor access to interface with the mountain environment. They wanted an oversized wood-burning fireplace inside and outside. They did not want a rustic style, but a classic, traditional design to connect the mountain environment and lifestyle and take advantage of the views. They also wanted a private home office.
What We Did
- Existing unfinished garage space was converted to an open floor plan with a media area, recreational area and full kitchen with abundant storage space.
- Used full-lite double French doors with sidelights and transoms above to let the light and views in and give full access to the new outdoor living area
- Professional grade kitchen with sit-up bar was added for family eating
- Upstairs storage room was converted to a warm “manly” home office with refinished oak floors, a new flagstone fireplace, refinished paneling and a ¾ bath
- New outdoor living area created with a flagstone masonry fireplace and a large flagstone patio. The porticos were designed to match the existing front porch.
- 5” hand scraped Walnut floors, traditional white trim, granite countertops, slate backsplash and warm wood cabinets and natural flagstone fireplace combine the traditional and the mountain look