Owners bought a 96 year old brick, ranch bungalow in need of repair just North of Sports Authority Field at Mile High. They wanted more living space and a transitional designed home built with modern standards preserving as much of the original house as possible.
• Original home encroached a very restrictive 5 foot side setback minimum. All new addition work would not be allowed to encroach.
• 96 years had taken a toll on much of the original brick
• To get additional living space meant expanding the existing house on a very tight lot
• Lot size and setback restriction would not allow the expansion horizontally, the additional square footage was achieved by adding a second level. The back of the house was expanded in order to accommodate the access to the new 2nd floor without sacrificing usable floor space in the existing footprint.
• Because of the restriction on side setback the 2nd floor addition was inset from the existing main floor walls. This increased engineering, but it also served to provide a mid-level roof which helped connect the new to the original house
• Professionally restored the integrity of the original brick and then painted the brick in order to blend the original to the new transitional modern design.
• In order to keep the connection between the new transitional modern design and the 1920’s architecture, all window sizes and locations were left unchanged and the original main level ceiling height was retained.
• Removed crumbling roof and porch enclosure to revealing the original brick porch adding a new porch roof with timber beam and truss and tongue and groove ceiling.
• Removed all interior walls to accommodate a new open floorplan.
• White painted cabinets and quartz countertops with stainless steel appliances contrasted with dark hardwood floors and gray walls with white trim created a clean transitional feel.
• Additional square footage was achieved with the 2nd story addition, adding a master suite with a vaulted ceiling, laundry room, two secondary bedrooms with window seats and a secondary bath.
• A deck was added to the addition and a two-car freestanding garage was added off the alley.